Over the past few years, Edmonton Public Schools has seen tremendous growth in student enrolment at a number of sites, particularly Esther Starkman and Johnny Bright. To address this growth, the school district has taken a number of steps:
- Closed the attendance boundaries.
- Added two modular classrooms.
- Added six portable classrooms.
Despite these efforts, the schools will exceed their capacity next year and something had to be done to reduce the number of students at the school. Three overarching objectives guided the Superintendent’s decision making. Those objectives were to affect the fewest students; to keep the youngest students at the school nearest their homes; and, to ensure students living in the school’s attendance boundary were able to attend the school. Based on suggestions from school staff, parents and community members, the Superintendent has made the following decision.
For Johnny Bright School:
- Grade 8 and 9 students will be designated to attend D.S. MacKenzie School.
- Students attending the school, who live outside the attendance area or are non-resident to our District, will not be able to stay at the school.
For Esther Starkman School:
- Grade 7, 8 and 9 students living in the Hodgson, Magrath Heights and MacTaggart neighbourhoods will be designated to attend Riverbend School.
- All other Grade 8 and 9 students will be designated to attend Avalon School.
- Students attending the school who live outside the attendance area or are non-resident to our District will not be able to stay at the school.
The Superintendent acknowledges that these changes are challenging for the families affected and is committed to making their transition as smooth as possible. Information packages detailing the decision have been posted to SchoolZone.
Information package for families of Esther Starkman School:
- Esther Starkman Parent Letter
- Esther Starkman Accommodation Plan – Updated March 18, 2013
- Riverbend Junior High Attendance Area Map 2013-2014
- Esther Starkman Junior High Attendance Area Map 2013-2014
Information package for families of Johnny Bright School: